Traditional Meat Pie
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 carrots grated
- 2 celery stalks finely diced
- 750g beef mince
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp plain/all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef stock/broth
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 puff pastry sheets thawed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Steamed peas and ketchup to serve
- Preheat oven to 220c.
- In a large, heavy based pan, heat olive oil on high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery, cook stirring 4-5 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add beef, cook 4-5 minutes until browned.
- Add tomato paste, stir to combine.
- Add flour, stir to combine.
- Add beef stock/broth and black pepper.
- Bring to boil and then simmer on low heat for 20-25 mins with the lid on.
- Divide the pie filling in bowls, cover each bowl with puff pastry. Crimp the edges off puff pastry around the bowl. Don’t worry if it’s messy!
- Brush pies with egg wash and sprinkle with salt.
- Pop in the oven for 15-20 minutes until crust is golden. Take care removing the pies from the oven, use gloves as the bowls will be hot.
- Serve with steamed peas and tomato sauce.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created The Simple Housewife to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.