Southern Fried Chicken
- 500g chicken thigh fillet cut into halves
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt plus extra to sprinkle
- 2 cups flour
- Oil for frying
- Mix together spices and salt, sprinkle over both sides of chicken.
- Toss chicken in buttermilk – Ideally leave to marinate for 30 minutes. It’s okay if you don’t, it will still be delicious!
- Heat your oil to a medium – high heat in a large skillet. Dip each piece of chicken (coated in buttermilk) into the flour, shake off any excess and then cook in the oil.
- Cook for 8-12 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Sprinkle with salt to serve.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created The Simple Housewife to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.