Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
- Whole chicken (1.2-1.8kg)
- 2.5 litres chicken stock/broth
- 4 carrots (peeled and halved lengthways)
- 2 stalks celery including leaves (washed and cut into 15cm lengths)
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 250g thin egg noodles
- 1/2 bunch parsley roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to season
- Heat oil on medium heat in a medium sized skillet. Cook onion for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Rinse chicken (including the inside of the carcass). This creates a clearer broth.
- Place whole chicken, stock, celery, carrots and cooked onion into slow cooker. Cook on low 8 hours or high for 4 hours (stove top method see note 1).
- Remove chicken, celery and carrot from slow cooker. Shred chicken and cut celery and carrot into bite sized chunks.
- Place egg noodles in the remaining liquid along with parsley. Cook 15 minutes on low heat or until noodles are cooked to your liking.
- Return chicken, celery and carrot to the broth. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Note 1 – Stove top method: Place whole chicken, stock, celery, carrots and cooked onion into a large pot. Use more stock if needed to ensure chicken is fully submerged. Place lid on, bring up to the boil and then reduce heat to low with lid ajar. Cook 1.5 hours or until chicken is soft and falling off the bone. Remove chicken, celery and carrot from pot. Shred chicken finely and cut celery and carrot into bite sized chunks. Add egg noodles and parsley to the pot, cook 8 mins or until egg noodles are cooked through. Return chicken, celery and carrot to the pot, season with salt and pepper and serve.
Can chicken soup be frozen? Yes! Freeze in containers and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. Chicken soup can be frozen for up to 2-3 months.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created The Simple Housewife to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.