Slow Cooker Beef Pie
- 1.5 – 2kg beef chuck steak cut into 2 x 2cm cubes
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions roughly diced
- 4 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 beef stock cubes crumbled
- 2 sheets puff pastry partially thawed
- 1 egg lightly whisked
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Mash potato and veg to serve
- Dust beef in flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil on medium heat (in large skillet or in slow cooker with searing capability). Sear beef until browned all over for 3-4 minutes. Add onion, garlic and carrot stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining flour from dusting your beef. Stir 1 minute.
- At this point transfer these contents into your slow cooker if you’re not already using it.
- Add tomato paste, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, 2 beef stock cubes crumbled and 2 cups of water.
- Cook on high 3.5 hours or until tender.
- Preheat oven 200c.
- Fill oven proof dish (approximately 30 x 18cm) with pie filling. Make sure you remove the bay leaves.
- Cut pastry to fit pie dish and crimp edges to cover.
- Brush with whisked egg, sprinkle with sesame and fennel seeds. The fennel seeds are not a deal breaker but do add a depth of flavour as well as make the pie look impressive!
- Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Serve with your favourite sides.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created The Simple Housewife to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.