Sauteed Red Cabbage
- 1/2 large red cabbage shredded – Try and get it as thin as possible, I use a mandolin on the finest setting
- 1 large red or brown onion finely diced
- 1 green apple peeled and grated (I use a box grater)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 heaped tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
- 2/3 cup sultanas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oil in a large skillet on high heat.
- Add onion and apple, cook stirring for 2 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add red cabbage, cook 2 minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add apple cider vinegar, salt, brown sugar, pepper and 1/3 cup water. Cook stirring for 1 minute until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce to lowest heat setting, place lid on, cook for 30 minutes stirring half way. If you find the cabbage is sticking at the half way point, add 1-2 tbsp of water.
- Add sultanas, cook for another 15 minutes or until the cabbage is tender and cooked through to your liking.
- Pictured is my traditional homemade goulash with potato gnocchi.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created The Simple Housewife to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.