Roasted Pumpkin Soup
- 2 whole butternut pumpkins, sliced in half lengthways
- 2 large onions cut in half and peeled
- 2 garlic bulbs, skin on, tops sliced off
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups chicken stock/broth (or 4 cups water and 2 chicken stock cubes crumbled)
- 1 tsp salt plus extra to season
- 1 tsp pepper plus extra to season
- Sour cream to serve (optional)
- Chopped chives to serve (optional)
- Sour dough bread to serve (optional)
- Chilli flakes to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven 180° fan forced.
- Assemble pumpkin, onions and garlic on baking tray. Drizzle with 4 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with 1 tsp of salt.
- Bake 1.5 hours or until pumpkin is soft enough to easily pierce with a fork. Add 1/2 cup of water half way if the vegetables are sticking to the base of the pan.
- Once the vegetables have slightly cooled, use your fingers to squeeze the garlic flesh from its skin.
- Scoop pumpkin flesh out of its skin with a spoon and transfer to a large pot along with the onions and garlic.
- Add 4 cups of chicken stock/broth or water and stock cubes if using.
- Blend to your desired consistency (I find a stick blender is easiest).
- Season with salt and pepper, serve with sourdough bread and top with sour cream, chives and chilli flakes if using.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created The Simple Housewife to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.