Mussels with Tomato and Garlic
- 1kg bag black live mussels
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli sliced
- 400g can whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to season
- Your favourite sides to serve. I served with freezer chips (cooked in the air fryer), cocktail sauce, spinach salad and crusty bread
- Heat 2 of the 3 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat, add half the garlic, cook stirring for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add canned tomato, use the back of your spoon to break up. Pop the lid on, reduce to the lowest setting and allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Don’t add salt at this point.
- Heat a large seperate pot on high heat, once hot, add remaining 1 tbsp of oil and remaining garlic, stir for 1 minute, add mussels, wine and chilli. Stir. Place the lid on for 2 minutes. Once the mussels start to open, transfer them into your tomato and garlic sauce. I do this one at a time as soon as they open. Remove the tomato sauce and mussels from the heat.
- Discard any mussels that don’t open.
- Add a ladle of the mussel/wine broth to your tomato sauce. Season at this point with salt if it needs it. The broth will be quite salty from the liquid the mussels would have released so you may find you don’t need salt at all.
- Serve with your favourite sides.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created The Simple Housewife to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.