Mexican Beef Casserole
- 500g beef mince
- 400g tin kidney beans (or any beans of choice)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels (fresh or tinned corn works too)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp freshly minced garlic
- 1 feeb stock cube (or 2.5 cups beef stock/broth and omit water)
- 1 1/4 cup jasmine rice
- 2.5 cups of water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 level tsp salt
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 red cabbage shredded
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- Coriander leaves (optional)
- Red and green chilli (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Heat oil on high heat in a large skillet, add onion and garlic. Cook 2 minutes or until soft.
- Add beef mince, cook 2 mins or until browned breaking up as you go.
- Add all spices and salt, stir 30 seconds to coat beef and onion mixture.
- Add beans, corn and tomato paste. Cook stirring for an additional 1 minute.
- Add stock cube, water (or stock/broth if using) and rice. Bring to boil and then reduce to lowest heat setting, cover with lid and cook for 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from heat. Leave the lid on for 5 minutes.
- Serve with cheese on top and your favourite Mexican toppings!
Recipe inspired by RecipeTin Eats.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created The Simple Housewife to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.