Homemade French Onion Dip
- 250g cream cheese block allowed to soften and come to room temperature (leave it out of the fridge for at least 20mins)
- 125g of sour cream
- 2 cups of onions finely diced (I used 3 large onions)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
Caramelised Balsamic Onions
- 2/3 cup sliced red onions (into rounds)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Melt butter in a medium sized pan on medium-low heat, add onions and cook 5-8 minutes until onions are translucent and soft. Set aside to cool.
- Once onions are cooled, combine with remaining ingredients. I use a spoon to combine.
For Balsamic Onions
- In a small separate pot, heat olive oil on lowest heat. Add all ingredients and gently sweat for 10-15 minutes until onions turn a glossy, deep, caramelised colour. If the onions begin to stick, add 1 tsp of water.
- Allow to cool and serve heaped on dip.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created The Simple Housewife to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.