- 1/2 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 small red cabbage shredded (2 cups)
- 1/4 small white cabbage shredded2 cups)
- 2 carrots thinly sliced (I use a julienne peeler)
- 2 spring onions thinly sliced
- Sesame seeds to garnish (optional)
- Whisk your dressing ingredients to combine.
- Pour over your coleslaw vegetables and toss to combine. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if using. The vegetables will release moisture as the salad sits which will deepen the flavour and loosen the dressing.
Can you make homemade coleslaw ahead of time?
Absolutely yes! Cabbage lasts so well in the fridge once shredded. I use a mandolin to speed up the shredding process. I use air-tight glass containers to store prepared cabbage in the fridge. It will easily last between 5-7 days ready for lunches and dinners. To make ahead, prepare the salad ingredients and prepare the dressing ingredients. Do not combine. Store both in air-tight glass containers until you are ready to use (3 days is generally a good time frame).
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created The Simple Housewife to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.