Eggplant and Tomato Pasta
- 250g pasta of choice (I used spaghetti)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (I used panko)
- 2 large eggplant cut into large cubes
- 1 tbsp freshly minced garlic
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (separated)
- 2 x 400g tins whole peeled or crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt plus extra to season
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Cook pasta as per packet instructions less 1 minute (the last minute of cooking will take place in the sauce). Rinse with cold water to stop the pasta cooking and sticking together.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add breadcrumbs. Cook stirring for 2 minutes or until golden. Season with 1/2 tsp of salt. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add 2 tbsp olive oil and eggplant. Cook stirring occasionally for 5-8 minutes until eggplant has softened.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and minced garlic. Cook, stirring for 1 minute until garlic is cooked and fragrant.
- Add tinned tomatoes and 1 tin filled with water. Cook 12 minutes with lid on until tomatoes and eggplant have softened.
- Remove lid, cook additional 5 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the sauce is at the desired consistency, return the pasta to the pan and cook for 1 minute to heat through.
- Serve immediately with crunchy breadcrumbs sprinkled on top.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created The Simple Housewife to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.