Creamy Pea & Bacon Spaghetti
- 500g spaghetti (or any pasta of choice)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped bacon (approximately 2 rashes, see note 1)
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup pure pouring cream (see note 2)
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder or chicken stock cube
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (plus extra to serve)
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Cook pasta as per packet instructions less 1 minute. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Ladle 1/2 cup of pasta water out of the pasta pot (I use a mug) and add to the bacon/garlic pan to deglaze. Stir 30 seconds, scraping up anything stuck to the base of the pan.
- Add peas, cook further 1 minute until peas begin to change colour.
- Add cream and chicken stock powder (or cube if using), cook 3-5 minutes until sauce begins to thicken.
- Stir through cooked pasta for 1 minute. Stir through parmesan.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese and chilli flakes (if using).
Note 1 – Woolworths and many other deli meats contain nitrates and preservatives. Natural bacon is now easily accessible and available at many supermarkets. You can ask your local butcher for nitrate free bacon too.
Note 2 – Thickened cream is fine too. I use pure cream as it contains no modifiers.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created The Simple Housewife to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.