Homemade Chicken Nuggets
- 2 x large chicken breasts (approximately 300g each, 600g total)
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 4 eggs whisked
- 2.5 cups panko breadcrumbs (see note 1)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 200c (fan forced).
- Lay the chicken breast horizontally facing towards you and cut into roughly 1cm medallions/slices.
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl, add the chicken medallions and toss them through the flour using your hands so that the chicken is evenly coated.
- Place eggs in a seperate large shallow bowl, add floured chicken to the egg mixture and using a spoon, push the chicken around the mixture so that the chicken is completely coated in egg.
- One by one dip the chicken into the panko breadcrumbs to coat. Use your hands to press the nuggets into the breadcrumbs.
- Place the crumbed chicken nuggets on an oven safe tray lined with baking paper, drizzle with olive oil.
- Cook 15-20 minutes turning half way.
- Season with salt and serve immediately with ketchup, mustard or garlic aioli.
Note 1 – Panko breadcrumbs are a must to ensure the nuggets are super crispy. If you would prefer a more even colouring to your nuggets, simply toast the breadcrumbs first prior to crumbing. You can do this by placing them on a tray in a preheated 200c oven for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. (I don’t do this step and the photo pictured is not using this method).
How do I freeze Homemade Chicken Nuggets? I like to freeze these after I have crumbed them. I freeze in an air-tight container with sheets of baking paper in between the layers of chicken to stop them sticking to one another. You can keep the Chicken Nuggets in the freezer for between 2-3 months.
How do I bake Homemade Chicken Nuggets from frozen? Simply follow the recipe instructions but add an additional 5 minutes to your cooking time (cook for 20-25 minutes).
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created The Simple Housewife to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.