Chicken and Leek Pies
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500g chicken thigh fillet cubed
- 1 leek thinly sliced (use the white section only and discard the dark green tops)
- 200g sliced mushrooms (I used white cup mushrooms)
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 300ml pouring cream
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 chicken stock cube crumbled
- 1 cup freshly grated tasty cheese (I used tasty but any cheddar or gruyere would work beautifully in this!)
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 4 sheets puff pastry partially thawed
- 1 egg whisked
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Steamed green vegetables to serve
- Preheat oven 220c fan forced.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add leek and cook 2-4 minutes until softened. Add garlic, cook additional minute.
- Add chicken and cook 5-6 minutes until browned.
- Add mushrooms and cook 4-5 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Crumble in the stock cube, add the dijon, sprigs of thyme and pouring cream. Cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat, add the cheese. Season to taste with salt.
- Allow pie filling to cool slightly, remove the thyme stalks, fill 4 pie dishes with filling.
- Cut 4 squares of pastry large enough to cover the individual pie dish.
- Lay the square of pastry on top of the pie dish and using your fingers, pinch and tuck the pastry around the edge of the dish to seal. You don’t have to be perfect! Messy is good.
- Brush the egg over the top of the pie and season the pastry with sesame seeds and salt.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the tops are golden and crunchy.
- Serve with a side of steamed green vegetables.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created The Simple Housewife to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.