- 600g chicken thigh fillet cut into strips
- 6 large cloves of garlic chopped finely
- 1/2 cup light soy sauce
- 1/2 cup plain white vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 heaped tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp canola oil (or any cooking oil apart from olive oil)
- Rice to serve
- 1 spring onion chopped to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Chilli to serve (optional)
- Steamed vegetables and/or cut cucumber to serve
- Place chicken, garlic, light soy sauce, white vinegar, bay leaves and pepper in a bowl. If you have time, leave for at least 30 mins to marinate (or even overnight if you can). I generally don’t have time and cook immediately and it’s still great!
- Heat oil in skillet on medium-high heat and then using tongs, drop in your chicken. Once the chicken is sealed, add the remaining marinade. Cook for 8 minutes, sauce will begin to thicken and caramelise. Add sugar. Cook for further 2 minutes.
- Serve on rice topped with spring onion and vegetables of your choice – I went with fresh cucumber and steamed broccoli.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created The Simple Housewife to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.