- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 2 carrots grated or finely diced
- 2 stalks celery finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely diced
- 750g beef mince (or mince of choice)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 800g whole peeled tinned tomatoes blitzed into a puree or 1 jar of passata
- 2 dry bay leaves
- 2 cups beef broth/stock
- Salt and pepper to season
- Pasta to serve
- Parmesan and chilli to serve (optional)
- Heat olive oil on medium heat, add onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Take your time with this step, cook the vegetables until they are soft and full of flavour, this will take at least 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to high, add mince meat, cook for 2 minutes until sealed, breaking up as you go.
- Add tomato paste, tomato puree or passata, bay leaves and beef broth/stock. Bring to the boil, cook for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to lowest setting, cook with lid on for 35 minutes.
- Once cooked, season to taste.
- Stir through pasta, serve with freshly grated parmesan and chilli if using.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created The Simple Housewife to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.